Labels

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Garage Door Blues

There is no home-related purchase more boring than a garage door.  Except maybe two new garage doors.  They're duller than sump pumps and boilers, with which you at least have the opportunity to actually develop a relationship.

Bob Vila never waxed poetic over garage doors.  So handing over almost $2,000 bucks to the garage door guy was like a stake through my heart.  They're not exactly up there on a girl's wishlist.  I would much prefer to go shopping for, say, a plush new sofa,  kitchen cabinets with interior lights and a lazy Susan, granite countertops, a spa tub big enough for me and the pool boy a good book .......excuse me, I need to go have a cigarette.

Since I am notoriously unobservant (a couple of years ago I said to my DH of 20 years, "Your eyes are blue... right?"), I was thoroughly unprepared to tell the garage door man what "style" windows I wanted.  So I set out on a walk through the 'hood to check out my neighbors' garage doors.  I discovered that there are, in fact, only a few styles to choose from.   Here are your (and my) choices:


And here's what I chose:


Apparently, garage doors are a capital improvement, so I can add the cost to the value of the house (or subtract it, I forget which).  I only hope the sump pump and boiler don't get jealous.

10 comments:

  1. As someone who has spent good money (and lots of it) on a new furnace and new spouting, I commend you on your choice of garage door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to buy a new furnace and hot water heater.....I do like your garage door, but I don't have a garage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the designs are quite classy and they perfectly match your house. I know it's tough to pick the correct doors since there are a lot to choose from in stores. I think we should invest our hard-earned money in stuff we can use for a long time, especially if it's for our homes.

    Christopher Guarracino

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice design of garage door thank you for the information you share. And also you help a lot to other people, you have a good idea to your site great job.


    garage door repair upper marlboro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this useful information... Nice design for your Home garage door and I like it... Good work!



    oakton garage door

    ReplyDelete
  6. A small improvement on the house, like having a new garage door, can definitely add great value to the property itself. Though the improvement cost you a pretty penny, the payback is sometimes double than you expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your post about " Garage Doors " very nice post. It is very help full.I do appreciate about this post & this blog.

    Custom Garage Doors

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owings Generators Garage Home Have you been in the quandary where you might get probably the most trustworthy storage doorway mend in Owings Generators? Complete...

    owingsmills garagedoor

    owingsmills garagedoor repair

    garagedoor repair owingsmills

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post.Thanks for sharing this information.

    Garage Door repair Sun City

    ReplyDelete
  10. The garage door clicker was one of the smartest inventions and it was welcomed by all consumers right away. We have great knowledge of their importance for people's safety and make sure all our products are renewed as soon as new ones come out and never fail to suggest upgrades to our customers. There are fabulous clickers, which are not distinguished only for their original designs and styles but, mainly, for their great technologies.

    Garage Door Repair Rancho Cucamonga

    ReplyDelete